In 2001, nine hundred and fifty-one (951) clients were tested for hearing loss at DRETCHI. Over the last five (5) years a total of thirty thousand, two hundred and sixty (13,260) adults and four thousand, three hundred and fifty-eight (4,358) children were tested for hearing loss and the numbers are increasing. The World Health Organization (WHO) has determined that in the Caribbean region an average of 9% of the adult population and 1.7% of children suffer from some degree of hearing loss and these numbers are rapidly increasing. In addition to providing the current range of services such as testing, evaluation, hearing aid fitting, repairs and servicing, and specialty clinics, DRETCHI proposes to enhance and expand its services in the following ways:
* Sign language interpreting and instruction for members of the public, family members, emergency response personnel and others
* Other support services such as speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and counselling for parents and families
* Training in listening and communication strategies
* In-service training on hearing loss for schools and emergency response teams
*Training in Occupational skills, job development and placement services for the D & HH
* Employment services and support
Developing the strength and capacity of the Deaf Community will ensure that deaf persons in generations to come will continue to have a community and the necessary skills to become confident and informed members of the wider society.